What Is Panchkarma?
DETOXIFICATION = PANCHKARMA
An Ayurvedic therapy helping you in detoxification and rejuvenating the body. Panchkarma, a unique and holistic approach to open the subtle tunnels and find peace in your body.
This special therapy uses herbal oils to cleanse the body and is been practiced in Kerala since decades. Panchkarma heeds all other Ayurvedic therapies because of the level of detoxification it provides.
WHAT IS PANCHKARMA?
Panchkarma comprises of five methods of purification, because of which it is called “Five Procedures”, when translated in English. These five procedures are enough to leave you relaxed. They also stable the three Doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Let’s get into deep with these five procedures:
- Vamanam (Emesis therapy or vomiting) –Vamanam is influenced to eliminate Kapha. Blockage in the lungs leads to reiterated attacks of bronchitis, cough and cold. Vamanam is the pre-eminent treatment for Kapha-related diseases, as well as chronic skin disease such as psoriasis. Vamanam treatment is known to eject the increased Kapha waste out of the body. Since the position of Kapha is such, that it is easy to kick it out. Fomentation is also given to the patient for some days.
- Virechanam (Purgation) –Virechanam helps in eliminating the toxic materials from the small intestine through therapeutic purifications through the cleansing of bowels. Like Vamanam, fomentation treatment is given here too. The patient then is given natural purgatives which let the washing off the toxins. Besides, Virechanam is also effective for jaundice.
- Basti (Medicated Enema)– Basti is a highly useful & complete therapy for the various Vatta disorders.There are 2 types of enema introduced into the colon through the rectum: Oil enema (AnuvasanBasti) and Decoction enema (AasthapanBasti)When bastidravya is inserted into the Pakwasay (The main root of vatta dosha), its effect is spread all over the body through appropriate channel.basti is very useful in Chronic constipation, Paralysis, Sciatica, Backache, Gynaec disorders, Infertility, Oligospermia, Arthritis, Heart disease & All types of pains, etc.
- Nasya (Errhine) – Nasya is the solution for migraine, sinusitis and more such problems. The absorption of medicated oils through nostrils is Nasya. The noxious present in the nose and the head area get eliminated. During the process, the areas around nose and head are rubbed, this is very beneficial as it cures migraine and diseases related to nose. When the process begins, patient’s nose and head area are massaged to help him relax.
- Raktamokshan (Blood Letting) – Removal of vitiated blood & toxic elements from the body, with the help of certain instruments and procedures as mentioned in Ayurveda. It is useful in Leucoderma, Skin diseases, ArthritiS, Gout etc.
- Niroohavasti– Niroohavasti involves the inception of herbal obstruction to constipation, kidney stones, backaches, Quath or Kashaya are a combination of Vata dominant disease.
- Nasyam – Nasyam is the solution for migraine, sinusitis and more such problems. The absorption of medicated oils through nostrils is Nasyam. The noxious present in the nose and the head area get eliminated. During the process, the areas around nose and head are rubbed, this is very beneficial as it cures migraine and diseases related to nose. When the process begins, patient’s nose and head area are massaged to help him relax.
- Anuvaasan – Anuvaasan means to ‘stay’. So, the medicines given are to be stayed in the large intestine for a long time. This procedure is done after consuming a proper meal. All Vata related diseases, such as joint disorders, paralysis, benefit from Anuvaasanam. It is given to patients going through diabetes, anaemia and obesity.
HOW WILL PANCHKARAM BENEFIT YOU?
Panchkarma is a therapy with a herd of benefits.
- - Eliminates toxins
- - If overweight, then loses weight
- - Decreases stress
- - Balances the three Doshas
- - Provides deep relaxation
- - Glimmers your skin
- - Heals the digestive system
- - Intensifies immunity
Diet plays a vital role, both; during and after performing Panchkarma. Diet is responsible for all the bodily tissues to function. So, one should follow a Kitchari diet (a mixed veg meal) not only on the day he performed Panchkarma, but maintain this diet for at least for three to four days. The amount of herbs should get increased each day he consumes it.
Now, as we know that Panchkarma is a combination of all the five processes, Vamanam, Virechanam, Niroohavasti, Anuvaasan and Nasyam. These processes are aimed to pull off the hidden imbalances in our body.
Ayurveda highlights that stress and anxiety are our biggest enemies and they affect not only us but within us also. Instead of going with the “Science-based, modern” medicine, go with the “Science of Life” to reduce stress.